It has been recommended to me that I write my opinions of many people, without explaining who those people are, as a spiritual exercise of some sort I suppose. Here, then, are some opinions.
[The reader is invited to guess who is who. -bb]
- You are an accidental lout -- a scoundrel of the most meagre sort -- a thief of the valueless, a pest without any great force!
- You are the most trustworthy person I know; you are the least vain person who actually seems to possess vanity; we have helped each other now and then; I hope never to be your enemy.
- You are generous with gifts of pain and unpleasantness. May your generosity be repaid twelvefold and sevenfold.
- I reach for you with glittering claws, and draw back a handful of ... what?
- You baffle me: why, in a school full of the attractive in six forms and three flavors, did you choose that? Still, having chosen, I must admire your loyalty and tenacity.
- I think that you are my best friend, among students, though I am not your best friend, which is as it should be. Though you have tricked me before!
- Considering who you are, I am surprised that I do not see you more often and know you better. With the help of an apartment mate, I daresay I shall do so.
- You sought to deny me something for the most selfish and petty of reasons. I shall do what you feared I should do, and remember you forever.
- Once a close friend, now less close but I hope no less a friend. When my scales were prised up, you saw beneath them, but smoothed them down regardless.
- You saved my life (from yourself), but you slipped out from getting your proper and traditional reward for such, just as if your name were accurate.
- You embarrass me. Haven't you learned that I hate you intensely, yet? Well, perhaps just "slightly dislike you intensely", but be assured, there is intensity there! Oh, and I am grateful for this and that and meatballs, but I still slightly dislike you intensely. Ungracious of me, I know, but this is supposed to be honest.
- I had hoped for more pleasant things with you than simply trying to see who could claw the other's heart the more deeply. Though I think you won, you and your allies. If you ever shake those allies, come back and we will try yet another round.
- So close, and yet so far away ... The monsters all say that you are a lesson to me, but I think they are wrong: you are nothing other than yourself.
- They say I should know you better. I say I should not share a city with you.
- I think you are my best friend, among non-students. Though you should tell me more important things!
- You are a proud arrogant fop. I would imitate you if I had a fraction of your wealth or style.