Weighty Considerations[18 Chirreb 4261]
Remarkably, the greatest number of the monsters agree with me.
I did, in fact, say very little about what to do with the mouse, or the Gormoror adventurers, and decide to ask the Duke or at least Kaim-Su for recommendations on this topic. I diverted her by asking how she knew they were there to kill her, and she told me about some nastily enchanted crossbow bolts and some very heavy fire spells, and invited me to look at them with the Eye.
I did. They were nastily enchanted crossbow bolts and very heavy fire spells. I also looked at her defenses concerning nastily enchanted crossbow bolts and very heavy fire spells. The crossbow bolts were fired from some dozens of miles away (though the crossbow was only a few feet from Vae's big ugly head at the time), and those miles were full of wood and wind, according to the spell that blocked them, though most of the rest of us wouldn't have agreed. There was another spell that would twist crossbow paths into eternal knots, and another to turn the crossbow bolts into so many memories of childrens' verses, and ... well, if you really care, you can read the Ducal report. (Or if you can't, probably best if you don't.)
Actually I didn't spend the time to dissect her defenses just then, Prof. Gostegg and some of the grad students in Dissection of Spells did it later...
... which was delightful, really. It meant that I got to sit on the shoulder of one Zanniajaia, who is a member of my preferred species, and, yes, my preferred coloration too. There aren't that many blue Orren -- they're mostly brown -- but the few blue ones are to be cultivated, and, when possible, sat upon. Or otherwise provided with opportunities to compare our coloration.
No, it's not just about camoflage.
And now, it's time for a miscellany, or, perhaps, even, an assortment.
- Question for later consideration: Should I fret about finding another Orren particularly appealing, when Ilottat is being particularly inattentive?
- I offered Real-Eel the mouse, but I started by explaining to her what it was and offering not to show it to her. She preferred to never see it at all. I'm not quite sure what to do with it now... it's in a box in a spare closet at Quelldrie House. I hope to forget it and leave it there, until either I reread this diary in a thousand years or until some poor crown prince of Daukrhame or something stumbles on it.
I asked various people, mostly city guard, about the policy on having nendrai torture their prisoners. The general reaction was, "Anyone who attacks a nendrai should be prepared to pay the price. At any rate, we have no great desire to challenge a nendrai over the lives of mere foreigners."
"But that's horrible!" I said.
"You may try to talk her out of it, if you wish."
- Seeks-Veils evidently proposed marriage to her lover in Rusunder. He refused to move to Vheshrame for her. Now Seeks-Veils does not have a lover in Rusunder any more, or anywhere else, as far as the rumors know. She said (to Havune and Ghirbis -- I was, unfortunately, busy observing mice) that she was going to go screw someone easy like Nestrune silly in revenge. Nestrune, less unfortunately, was in class at the time. By the time Havune told either of us, she was no longer available to non-Orren anymore. At least, even I have more sense than to make a pass at someone who just changed her name to Seeks-Perpetual-Virginity.
- Question for later consideration: Should I fret about wishing for an opportunity with Seeks-Someone-Easy, especially when Ilottat is being particularly inattentive?
- Question for later consideration: Should I fret about missing an opportunity with Seeks-Someone-Easy, especially when Ilottat is being particularly inattentive?
- I managed to catch Ilottat in the pond, in Orren form (yes, O sarcastic monsters, I was in Orren form -- we both were) and we had a few bubbly underwater kisses. He sort of kind of agreed to see me tonight. I unstrategially mentioned something about Orren-on-Orren kissing. I am not seeing him tonight.
- Question for later consideration: Should I fret about missing an opportunity with Ilottat, especially when Ilottat is being particularly inattentive?
- Question for later consideration: Should I fret about not being distraught over missing an opportunity with Ilottat, especially when Ilottat is being particularly inattentive?